Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Presidential quotas

Apparently, at a recent fund raiser, Mitt Romney answered a question about the possibility of including a member of the Muslim faith within his cabinet by saying he “cannot see that a Cabinet position would be justified” based on the percentage of Muslims in the U.S.

I wasn't aware any positions within our government were alloted by religious belief (or lack thereof - atheists will want their seats in the cabinet too), and in fact I thought the Constitution explicitly prohibits such calculus (although apparently the US Attorney General's office didn't get the memo).

Still, leaving aside such trivial items as our nation's founding document, as well as the fact Republicans are allegedly against the used of quotas in hiring, school admissions, etc., one could certainly make a pretty strong case, based on the fact that only about 1.4% of the US self-identifies as Mormon, that one "cannot see that a Presidential position would be justified" for Romney, based on the percentage of Mormons in the US.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They way it's going in both parties, We The People are going to again be faced with a "Lesser of Two Evils" choice.

This is VERY discouraging.

Sirocco said...

I agree ... I can think of Dems and even one Republican I would vote _for_, but if the current front-runners are the nominees it's definitely a "lesser of two evils" vote for me as well.

x4mr said...

I laughed pretty hard when I saw this on Olberman's show last night.

As I've said, Romney is an idiot.